Saturday, October 15, 2016

Garage door makeover!


So I saw a few things on pinterest in how to makeover your garage door but all the links were deleted so I had to just look at a few different pictures...  but I will say this was SO CHEAP and what a difference it made!  I got all my items in an amazon order for $27!


I bought this black paint and barely used any in this project.  If you have some laying around the house, even better.  I went with semi gloss to give the "windows" a sheen.


One thing I read said frog tape was a must so I didn't skimp here.  Hard lines are important!
I tried using both of these but the chip brush worked far and away better.  
And this of course is optional, but why not! ha
So this was our garage door before hand.  Not exciting.  I will say we have a side entry so at least you don't have to look at it from the street, but it is oversized so it's just a big white boring door.



So I taped the first square and "estimated" where to put the cross for the window.  Hubs, being a perfectionist decided that if we were going to do this, we needed to do it "right" so he got a measuring tape, and he did the cross part.  (remember this for later)




Once all the windows were taped, I started painting.  It took 2 coats to get it solid black.


I am thankful we read the directions on the frog tape because I was going to wait until it was dry, but NO, you are supposed to peel it off immediately after painting.  And this is why we both got frustrated...  he was trying to be so precise that he never fully stuck down the frog tape in the cross area...  ugh

From far away, it looks GREAT.  Up close...  ehhh.  So now I am planning to get out my white paint and touch up cause there are a few areas worse than this...  AND this is why I hate painting haha

From the street


The next day I got my "hardware in the mail".  I ordered these on amazon for $15.99!  You can see them here.  They are not metal, more of a bendy plastic but you can't tell when looking at them.  The backs have magnets on them, so NO DRILLING!!

They took about 2 seconds to put up and I just can't believe what a difference such a simple project can do to spiffy up our home!




Now to find the time to fix the areas that need touching up...  but overall I am just so happy with this project!  It literally added up to about 30 min of time.

2 comments: