Wednesday, March 27, 2013

cabinet and paint

At this point, I'm just so sick of stewing over our choices and am ready to be done!

They are not able to get the cabinets in Hazelnut glaze.  Not sure why...some excuse about how each region is only allowed certain colors...I'm guessing that they got a deal on a bunch of the butterscotch and so they don't want to have to do a specialized order but it's fine.  We chose a gray/black granite called New Caledonia and up next to the butterscotch glaze, it looks great.  Not yellow at all.  But, the hazelnut just has a darker glaze in the crevices that looks nice.  I suppose we could always glaze them darker later if we wanted but I'm sure it will be fine.

Now, onto the paint.  I am the most easy going person but this has been one of my biggest annoyances. They only give you 5 paint choices and they are all TAN.  They don't offer even a WHITE.  I have made it known to my sales rep from day one that I don't like yellows and tans and didn't want anything in my house to be in that color scheme.  Paint was the number one thing because they spray it all at once, including the ceilings and I don't really feel like painting ceilings.  In fact, I know I would probably just opt not to paint because of how annoying that will be.

So, I simply asked that my walls and ceilings be painted the same white as the trim.  Um...hello!  It's a color they are ALREADY USING in my house, why would it be an issue?

For some reason you guys, this is a huge issue.  They said we can upgrade to a 3 tone package but it's 3 tones of tan, still no white.  So my issue had to be taken up the ladder.

Got the call today and they are willing to do a nominal paint upgrade fee to paint the ceilings white but the walls have to be divine white (the lightest tan).  This is it:

I am happy in that now I don't have to worry about me and my husband painting our ceiling and dripping on our very expensive and beautiful hardwood floors...but I'm still annoyed that this color will be in every room.  If it was white, I probably would have opted to just paint accent walls...but this is going to force us to pretty much paint every wall.  Or else I'll just have to add in some room accents that tie in this color and call it good.

What it really comes down to is this: I am paying money to build this house and it's frustrating that I would have to jump through so many hoops to get the walls painted a color that is desirable to me.  It just doesn't make sense.  I am hoping once we get in there, it isn't as tan as it seems and it will work out.

To give you an idea for my style, I found this pic on Pinterest and these are the colors I want in my house:

I guess I just think it would look bad with a tan ceiling LOL!  Maybe I am just overthinking all this.  I'm just ready for the house to start construction and no more changes can be made.

We have been renting for so long now that I just want my new house to be right and not be disappointed about any choice, especially when it was something as simple as paint.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on building your new home! I am sure you will love the cabinets! That picture from pintrest is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange, our SR did not asked us about paint at all. On which step you pick the colors?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think I asked, but she did say we had 5 choices of tan. My neighbor said they never gave her a choice. So maybe it was because I asked. Then again she got an architectural shingle and we got the bottom of the line...they asked and we did not. So maybe there are some things you just have to ask about.

    ReplyDelete