Here is the only before picture I could find. This room was just NOT.WORKING. No matter how we arranged it, it always became a cluttered mess and we were stepping over shoes trying to get to things.

Here is what the shape of it is, per the floor plan (ok you will have to get creative. We don't have the big black space, that is for people with a basement. So if you take away the black space, that's what we have which is the angled wall):

So the weekend gets started with us wanting to paint our doors black and somehow changes into us refinishing our mud room. :)
So we were browsing through the aisles at Lowe's and saw these wood shelves, originally $49, on sale for $17.50. With our military discount (my hubs is a veteran), we got these for around $15! We decided to buy 5, along with some brackets, and other materials in order to do this right. *Disclaimer: I married a woodworking rockstar. It only works because he is awesome. :)

And as we were about to check out, I decided we had better paint first. I haven't seen any nail pops or areas that needed repair in the mudroom so I figured, why not. This was the hard part, picking a color. I knew I wanted a green so I literally picked the first card I saw and it happened to be this pretty Plantation Moss by Olympic paint. Not too green but a hint of green. And we live in South Carolina. And I love plantations and spanish moss. So, that's how that went. LOL. The color was so light at first but once it dried, it was perfect. I have enough left that I may paint the powder room this color too!
And now onto the transformation. (**Disclaimer--this room is the hardest to photograph because of the shape! I did the best I could but I don't have a super wide angle lens...sorry!)
Looking in from the kitchen. He took 3 of the shelves, and cut them into this!
I knew I wanted some space at the top for our rain boots, and a few other items. I'm glad he left some space at the left side to put coupons and things as we are running out the door, as well as a hook for my purse and the dog leash.
I wasn't sure about the hamper at first but that was part of the problem of this room. I will often get my son dressed downstairs in the morning and was throwing his pajamas into a hamper that sat behind the door. It was always falling over or in the way. So this seemed like the perfect solution. It pulls out and even detaches. This is where rockstar husband truly wins, since these were just simple shelves, he had to build a few extra pieces to hold the bracket properly. But he never fails. He is MacGyver!
I love my son's little area. I wanted a place where he could come in, hang his backpack and coat and even put a little rug down so he could sit and take his shoes off.
On the little short wall, I put my command center. I wanted to keep a bulletin board with some of his latest projects from school, as well as a magnetic strip to keep upcoming events that span farther than the calendar month.
Again he far exceeded my expectations!
I want to pick up some bins and some more wicker or regular cubes to re-organize everything a bit but overall I am so thrilled with how it all turned out. The whole project cost about $250 and that includes the paint. Crazy to think the shelves would have cost that much if they weren't on sale!




I LOVE this!!! We did ours up, but may need to use some of your ideas!
ReplyDeleteThis is great... our laundry drives me crazy too. I'm sure it feels so good to be able to organize everything!
ReplyDeleteWe have a Florence with a basement and our mudroom is the same size/shape as yours. It would be nice if it was bigger, but if I recall correctly, the ducting is in that blacked out space.
ReplyDeleteI like the paint color... and the shelves look great! The mudroom definitely looks more functional now.
I really wish we could use our mudroom as a mudroom. Unfortunately, that's where the litter box for the cats is currently located. There really isn't a better place to put it since we have an unfinished basement and prefer to keep the cats out of the basement. There's too many things they could get into down there right now.
We have a basement and a florence as well. We had Ryan homes put the laundry room downstairs. And we were able to utilize the room as a mudroom instead of a laundry room. Maybe look into do that!! :)
Delete