Ok, FINALLY! Here they are!
Before: Builder Boring
After: Sleek and Sexy!
The down and dirty:
The main blog I found this on used a roller for the doors. This would have taken forever, not to mention you would have seen roller marks because our doors have ZERO texture. So, after rolling one door, we quickly gave up on that idea. (We also would have had to do AT LEAST 2 coats per side (read: twice as much paint) and when you add drying time, in the winter...times 15 doors...this would have been the project that took like waaaaaay too much time.)
My neighbor let me borrow her paint sprayer and that is what saved the day. We managed to spray each side with ONE coat and my husband put about a 18" thin board screwed into the top of the door which held it away from the wall. Then he was able to easily spray, then turn the door and spray the other side without touching the door.
Because of the sprayer, we were able to spray a WHITE door BLACK with ONE coat, and 15 doors in 3 days, with only 2.5 gallons of paint. We did originally buy primer because the guy at Lowe's swore we would need it, because we would have to thin the black paint which would mean more coats...we did prime one door but it did not matter because the coverage the black gave us was enough in one coat, and we did NOT have to thin it. So, I wish we didn't even bother buying primer.
So, it basically only cost $34 a gallon times 3 gallons, plus a borrowed sprayer, a few canvases nailed to the wall that we already had, and a rockstar husband.
I wish I could say I helped but I did not. He removed all the doors, removed all the hardware, took them to the garage and sprayed them, then once dry, did the reverse. I really couldn't help at all. And if you want to try and roll the doors while they are still attached...good luck with that...a drip of black paint on your white trim or brand new carpet would really suck. Such is why I did not attempt this in my usual way...
Happy with the outcome but I hope this doesn't go out of style any time soon because this was one of those annoying projects that I wouldn't want to repeat for a really long time! LOL!
Entering in the garage...entering in the front door (that black door leads to a closet under the stairs). Gotta love the sexy black doors that greet you both places!!


The doors look great! It definitely breaks up all of that boring white going down the upstairs hallway.
ReplyDeleteWe rolled our garage door without removing it. We used a small cabinet roller and the same paint that they used on our front door (Carbon Copy - dark brown). We ended up doing two thin coats of paint, but luckily we didn't have any mishaps where we dripped paint anywhere or messed up the trim.
http://florencewithryanhomes.blogspot.com/2013/07/garage-makeover.html
Looks great!
ReplyDeleteI didnt think I would like them as my old home had wooden doors and I could not WAIT to have WHITE doors, so your project scares me. But I LOVE it, i really do, but I dont have the guts to do it...LOL...in case I change my mind. As I have said I am going to paint the inside front door though, one of these days...lol...it will be on a whim next time im out and grab some paint.
ReplyDeleteThis looks amazing! What a transformation!
ReplyDeletebadass! did you only do your bedroom level doors? i think we will do this but for the basement....
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome transformation!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the doors! I don't know if I am brave enough to do it. I love it!
ReplyDeletelooooooooooooooooooooooveeeeeeeeeeeeeee. it is super sexy.
ReplyDelete