The sales person at the model home has been asking me for different information for prospective buyers, and one thing buyers are always curious about is how energy efficient the home really is.
As in, let me see some bills and verify!
I am 9 months in and I must say, I'm happy happy happy. My electric bill (above) has never been over $100. And really, that September was our first full month in the house and I'm sure we had the A/C cranking while we were unpacking.
The gas bill on the other hand has been fluctuating much more, because we used our fireplace like we depended on it to keep us alive. That thing ran non-stop...and we definitely paid for it in February with a $131 bill. However, in the summer, our gas bill was a measly $18! The good thing about having both gas and electric is that when one goes up the other goes down, so the month our gas bill was highest, our electric bill was very low and vice versa.
My gas company didn't have a cool little table but here is Sept thru April:
Sept $20.63
Oct $18.10
Nov $57.64
Dec $81.46
Jan $93.43
Feb $131.14
Mar $70.57
Apr $44.15
The cheapest month looks like October when I paid $18.10 for gas and $70.04 in electric for a total of $88.14!
However, that was a beautiful month with 70 degree breezes and our windows were open!
After looking at all the fluctuations, I have decided to sign up for equal pay so I don't have months that are like February where I owed $131.14 plus $59.37 = $190.51!
Now we will be paying a cool $75 for electric and $49 for gas on equal pay which is $124 per month and I never have to worry about those months where the bill spikes.
So tell me, have you been pleased with the energy efficiency of your home?

That is awesome. I have no idea what it is like having a bill less than $150 per month.
ReplyDeleteWow, you're lucky! I had an $800 electric bill this winter in my Ryan Home.
ReplyDelete