Tuesday, June 17, 2014

10 month update

We had our 10 month inspection on Monday and a lot of good came out of it so far.

All the drywall and minor stuff is fixed/being fixed with completion of the drywall this Saturday.

Cabinets that were separating: we are getting 2 new cabinets in the corner by the sink where the major separations are happening.  Cabinet guy says the house has settled and pulled the cabinets -- RH rep says there's no way the house caused it...yeah whatever.  Just fix it.  I guess it had to go up the chain of command for approval.  These cabinets were top of the line so I expect them to look as such, so I'm glad they haven't just tried to fill the cracks with wax again.

Front yard tree:  I expected to lose this battle.  Half of our tree came dead, as in when they planted it, it was without leaves on the whole front.  PM told me it was because it was on the highway at 75 mph and would come back in the spring--I did not buy that but told him I would wait until spring to see.  Spring is here, and surprise!  That side is still leave-less.  RH rep tried to hem and haw that it would get better, other limbs would grow over it and cover it...but my husband would not take that answer.  If it never gets better and eventually all dies, then it will cost us quite a bit of money to get rid of it, so we want them to do it now.  He finally agreed to get us a new tree...and it gets better...the landscaper said he has a river birch and that we can have it!  SCORE!  I am partial to river birch, we had one at our old house and I just loved it, and was sad when we had to move.  So, I'm happy to have one back.  (Although, I won't officially believe it until I see it).  Supposedly the tree we have is a $200-$300 tree so we should be getting a decent sized river birch to replace it, unlike our little ol' $20 river birch in the back yard we planted.
I just love the peeling bark and the small leaves which still let a lot of light through. We currently have a red maple, which I wouldn't have minded too much if it weren't for the dead side.

They are telling me the tree will be delivered when the next house in the community gets their landscape, so it may be a few weeks or more.  I hope sooner!

Hopefully by this Saturday, my house inside will be looking crisp and fresh again instead of sad, bumpy and gappy.  LOL.  We have family coming to see the home for the first time, next week and they are staying a week.  I want my house to look great!  

Oh, and we are currently drawing up some plans for our deck, stay tuned!  We are hoping to get started this weekend!!

I had also hoped to paint but I think that will just be more than we can handle and I can't stand an unfinished mess!

2 comments:

  1. That's great that they are going to replace your tree. We are still waiting for our street trees (almost two years later). I can't wait to see your deck plans! Are you going to build it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. River birches have become a new favorite tree for me also. We are birches in our front yard, but dont have the multiple trunks and not shredding of the trunks. But our neighbor next door, but one on the property line, next to our patio. how big does these guys get??


    We just planted a cleveland pear, whepping cherry and a red dogwood on outlining portion of our property in our mulch bed of the
    house, why did we pick those? they were all under $20 at Sams club and Lowes. LOL...

    ReplyDelete