Sunday, December 28, 2014

Mud room and morning room question!

Hope you all had a merry Christmas!  We have been enjoying our long weekend with a small mud room update.  I bought a wall mounted shoe rack and it has made all the difference.  Now my son doesn't have to duck under coats to hang his backpack.

By the way we had all our floor squeaks fixed.  They tried to pull the "you are out of warranty" card but thankfully it was all documented from before our warranty expired.

Also, has anyone made their morning room something other than a dining room?  We are seriously considering moving our dining table into our formal living and using our morning room as a coffee station with a computer and sitting area.  The morning room is so big and we think we'd get more use out of it in other ways---but our dining room table is so long and would barely fit into the formal unless we take the chairs off the ends.  We just don't eat at the table as much for the amount of space it takes up and we don't use the formal living room at all.  So why not put a table we don't use into a room we don't use and make our morning room a cozy little area to hang out?  Thoughts??

5 comments:

  1. I love your mud room! We were just scrolling through some Florence blogs earlier today and found your first post on renovating your mud room. We've recently relocated the cat's litter box so I think we'll be doing something similar in our mud room soon.

    I LOVE the morning room! Adding the morning room was not just an option for me, it was a must! We eat probably 99% of our meals in the morning room though so it's very functional for us. If you aren't using the table in your morning room then I say go ahead and switch things up. It would be a shame to let that beautiful space go to waste.

    Oh and we don't use our formal living room either. We had planned to turn it into an office, but I doubt we would use it much so that's not high on our priority list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Ryan Homes Esquire didn't come with a formal living room (or a mudroom, sadly). We have a great room with a kitchenette. We use our formal dining room as an office and we eat our meals at the table in the kitchenette. We seem to be the only ones in our neighborhood who don't use the morning room as a dining room. We have comfy furniture in there, and we put a giant live tree in there at Christmastime. We keep a larger dining table in the basement and bring it up on the rare occasions we have a formal meal (maybe twice a year). That has worked for us. The morning room is too beautiful to waste with a table we would rarely use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don’t have our morning room as an eating area either… right it is a sitting area (you can check it out here: http://movingtothecountryryanhomes.blogspot.com/p/our-home.html), but I love the idea of adding a desk/workspace. I would love to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly! I've thought the exact same thing about the morning room at first. But after we got a gorgeous kitchen table, I love how it looks and we do eat there more often, but def not everyday. If I didn't love looking at the table so much, I would use the space as something else! I have a question about your mud room....where do you put cleaning stuff IE. Vac, mops, etc. I wanted to do something like yours but just can't find a good spot to put those things and still easy to get to. My biggest complaint about my Florence, closet space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say use the home the way that works for you :). The idea is great. I make the family float back and forth from dining room and morning room for meals. LOL. But when the kids go back to college hell we just sit at the island and neither room gets used. I would love to have a bigger kitchen!!! We wouldnt use the extra "living" space but if we could push back the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete