I am not ready to tackle this room quite yet but I am beginning to brainstorm. I'm hoping by the first of the year we can start working on it.
Neither of us really wanted/needed a formal space in our home but all of Ryan Homes have them (at least in my neighborhood). So since it automatically came with the house, I decided to snag it as my personal office/space. My husband took over the loft and let me tell you, it is as manly as a man cave can be, complete with a hammock to swing in while watching TV (I can't hate on it too much, I took a nap in it one day and it was wonderful haha)...but that's a whole other post.
My formal living room is the room that you walk into when you enter the house. I want this room to be fab because, as I said, it's the first thing you see, and second, because it's where I spend most of my time during the day while my son is at school. I am about 12 weeks from completing my online degree so I'm doing homework, or I'm doing some contract labor for a company I work for.

The room is a 12' x 12' square and the perfect size for an office.

Right now it's a disaster...we have a small desk that is working but it's not pretty.

I inherited this couch when the hubby decided he's rather swing in a hammock lol, but this couch is going to get sold because see that nice little chevron throw? It's covering about 1' by 1' of duct tape which is holding the couch together lol.
Looking toward the front door.
So I have 3 ideas for this room and would love your input. Forgive my "quick photoshopping" as I am running against the clock and have to go pick up my son in a few minutes :) Otherwise I would have loved to make it look more realistic :)
Option 1 is a large built-in desk along the side wall with a small chair and little table on the back wall. Window area is open. This was my original thought but after looking around on pinterest, I am second guessing it. I don't think it's the best use of the space, and leaves quite a bit of open, unusable space.
Option 2 is a built in shelving unit against the side wall, with a desk in the middle with a chair. No additional seating. Not my favorite idea but maybe more aesthetically pleasing to walk into?
Option 3 is my favorite so far. built in along the back wall, either a built in or picture wall on the side wall, desk in the middle and two chairs with a little table by the windows. Not sure how "to scale" this really is, but I think if I did it just right, everything can fit.
Now the one thing I keep thinking of...option 2 and 3 will have my desk in the middle of the room so how does that work with cords to the computer? And do I really want to look at the back of my computer which is a big 24" Mac?
So I searched a bit and found this idea:
Drooling over the striped wall...and I looooove the chandelier!
Which makes me think option 4 may be the best one yet?
It would give me a big built in along the back wall, where I can put the desktop, but a small side desk to use the laptop or just have a flat space to pay bills, do homework, or just put cute decor... :) As well as a few cute little chairs and table for decor.
And I found this online which I love...I already have a light blue rug in here but I love the coral accents. It's the only room I can really make mine and use some pink tones :)
So I need your input, what room do you think would look the best in this space?
{updated}
Ikea has this massive beast of a desk for $648...it's kind of perfect though. It would allow me and my husband both to have workstations, plus it would take up 11.75 feet of the 12 ft side wall making it look built-in. I think even with this desk I would have plenty of room to add a chair or two.







I love the white table. Will look gorgeous with a mac on top! I purchased 2 identical desks for our home office and placed them facing each other (http://building-a-home-moon-pa.blogspot.com/2013/11/30-day-review-survey-halloween-and-home.html). The desks I purchased 'hides' the wires sandwiched between them. For the power without wire clutter we requested a power outlet on the middle of the floor, where we plugged an extension. But we have a LONG way to go before our home office is done. Right now it's blah blah booring.
ReplyDeleteHere's my inspiration for our home office/ foyer. http://katelynjamesblog.com/category/our-home/
We are thinking of doing the same type of layout in our Formal Dining/Living Room.
ReplyDeleteAs we talked through it, our ideas are very similiar to option 3 - and we have the same concerns about the cords.
We wanted two chairs and a small table under the window, a desk facing the window, and book cases on the back wall.
The Venice Model had this room set-up with a desk facing the window and 3 book cases to the right of the desk. (I can send you a picture via email - I dont think I would be able to figure out how to attach it to a post)
I like option 3 because I like the idea of the desk facing the window, but that pinterest picture is awesome! What if you did the built-ins along the side (right) wall and had the desk part face the window? I love your gallery wall that you have in that room now! I need to see a pic of your hammock chair too!
ReplyDeleteI love options 3 & 4 :) But I also like the ikea system too and like you said, Voila instant! haha :)
ReplyDeleteLove option 3 and 4! I have been toying with turning the living room into an office, but my hubby is all about having a formal living room...which rarely gets used!
ReplyDelete