Thursday, September 12, 2013

here comes reality

Got our first mortgage bill.  Oh how fun it was not having any mortgage/rent for 2 months but it's all coming to a screeching halt and this bill is ours for THIRTY YEARS.  woah!

So, I dropped the ball on some paperwork I was given at closing.  Our taxes were assessed VERY high, I think like $2300 for what should be $1000.  This is why our closing costs went up, our payment went up, and why I got so mad at the end...and then I completely forgot to fill out this form I was given which is for a "special tax assessment" where they come and re-do the amount.  A few days ago I called my county to see how to get this sorted out and a lightbulb went off about the form so I grabbed it and had it out in the mail the same day.  I am hoping this can all get processed by the end of the year and we can get that money back.  We really need it to get our fence finished up and a few other things.  Right now we aren't doing anything else on the house until things chill out a little bit.  I ordered my last 4 curtain rods so the loft, one window in our bedroom, and our son's room can have normal curtains instead of curtains held up with push pins.  See, I don't really have it all together over here :)




8 comments:

  1. I would sell a kidney to have those taxes!! Ours are about 6k a year! or more! We haven't go the final assessment yet though... our taxes along are a small mortgage payment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! You probably live in a pretty big city though, right? We live on the outskirts of a big city so I suppose it's cheaper. We are in South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are about 15 min from downtown Pittsburgh so yeah, our taxes are crazy lol. It's mainly school taxes, we have some of the highest in the country b/c of our school systems... they feel it's necessary to build new schools every 5 years that are more like university campuses with imax theaters in them... because you know, that will make all the difference in a child's education! lol...

      Delete
  3. Phew, yeah, I'm right with Rachael - ours are about 10k a year. We're in NY. Our taxes double our mortgage. Literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't is disgusting? We moved out of our previous township because if we built in a community there, our house would cost about 80k more AND the taxes would be closer to 10-11k! It's pure insanity! And my salary is not adjusted for the cost of living, at all...

      Delete
  4. Those taxes are definitely wrong! My previous house ran $799/year and that was in Spartanburg county. They should fix it for you no problem! And I was having this conversation will my sister in law, she lives in Houston and her taxes are outrageously high, makes me thankful to live in SC :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. best of luck with the taxes. I hope they reduce it for you.. Taxes do pay in part for the fancy towns we live in and the schools our kids go to, but we all hate paying them, and hate when our homes (which we hold as priceless) are assessed as nearly priceless and have to pay endless taxes on them.. a tough one all around!

    ReplyDelete