Lately my husband has had to leave for a few business trips, leaving me and my son alone at home. Our community is gated which does give us some sense of security, but I really missed not having the alarm.
I did some research and I'm a huge fan of Dave Ramsay. He is a spokesperson for a company called Simplisafe and after looking around, I found it to be a great deal! I purchased a refurbished package for around $200 and I installed the whole thing in less than 10 minutes. I signed up for the basic $14.99 monitoring, and I love that I can cancel at anytime. I can even upgrade to a package that allows me to use my phone to arm/disarm or check activity.
Anyways, for those of you that didn't get an alarm but want something simple, with no contract, check it out!
Click here to save 5% on SimpliSafe
And here's a coupon code for $25 off LM25OFF

While I like having an alarm and the sense of security, I wish I had decided to get one after the home was built. It was like a convenience here and now kind of thing, so we just signed up. But, we should have done some further research. Oh well, in 3 years I'll most likely replace it with something simple and cheap.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. I did not go with Guardian either, because of the 3 year contract requirement.
ReplyDeleteYou did the right thing by not going with Guardian. We did, and wish we didn't! Guardian security system is a joke. First of all they charge some crazy amount ($700), plus that 3 yr contract of $50 /month. Then they tell you all kinds of lies that you wouldn't realize until you start living in the house and is too late..
ReplyDeleteGuardian only install sensors on the doors. So we asked them how are they detect anyone entering through windows at our meeting? The rep told us that they install a motion sensor in one place to cover any motion of an intruder. Sounds good, right? Well not.
We cannot have the motion sensor ON while we are inside the house because then the alarm goes off! That sensor just detects ANY motion inside the house and sets the alarm off. So, we can only use it when we are away. When we called Guardian to see why none of the windows had any sensor, they told us that window sensors does not include in that $700 package and each sensor will cost $85 each +$65 for a technician to come+ the labor charge for every 15 minutes they spend here ($1800 total)!!!
We installed window sensors on our own because intruders don't necessarily have to come through the doors!.
Here's our experience :
http://building-a-home-moon-pa.blogspot.com/2013/11/guardian-security-systems-upgrade-for.html
After all this, we found out that there are many other security companies that charge fraction of the cost but will install sensors in all doors and windows. I wish we did more research before signing up with Guardian.
ReplyDeleteWe had originally wanted the whole home audio and the security system and it was almost $4000 for everything. It came down to "do we want hardwood floors, or do we want that?" and it just completely lost. My neighbor has it and it's really nice so I kinda wished we had something but I am glad I shopped around and found Simplisafe. I really love it. I have a keychain remote that I can arm and disarm with one click. And there are so many other things I can add to the system if I want to have a smoke detection, freeze detection or leak detection. I kept it simple. We don't have any window sensors either so at night we aren't protected from that but I can easily purchase some and add them if I felt I needed that. The motion is only on when we are away as well.
DeleteThat sounds like a great package deal.
ReplyDelete