Saturday, April 6, 2013

Lighting and fireplace

In one of my previous posts I mentioned what I thought would be our lighting (Progress Lighting Bravo).  That is what our chandelier will be, but it looks like the rest of our lighting is from the Joy package.  Here is a pic of it in the model today.  I don't know why they would use two different ones, but I do like them both so I don't mind too much.  I'm just glad the chandelier is from the Bravo package because I really like it a lot, it has a simpler, less frilly design.

 I also took a picture of what the bathroom faucets will look like.  I like them.
Also, when we selected a Fireplace with stone, I never got to see a picture of what that would look like, so a google search led me to multiple pictures like this.

However, today at the model, the SR happened to pull up this picture and say that this is what our fireplace will look like.  I was a bit surprised at first, and showed her the first picture and she said she has never seen those kind before.  Nonetheless, I'm super happy with the second one as it doesn't go all the way to the ceiling, and the white mantle really brightens it up.  We chose the Kentucky Stone which is what is in the first picture I believe.  It also has one flat piece instead of tiled pieces across the ledge which I like.  Overall I'm happy with all our selections!

She did not have a "Master Selection" sheet for me, that is what they give you when you first sign your contract and she said it never updates to create a new form, but she did print out all our change orders and it looks like everything is there that we have added.  

I asked her if our permits have been ordered "yes they were ordered last week" and she said she thinks we should get our permit this coming Tuesday which would mean building starts the following week.  The only hold up for us is since we are using a VA loan, they have to get an initial appraisal and they can't move forward until that comes back.  Hoping that gets done this week so we can get moving on this house!!

We also discovered that we are the first Florence in the whole neighborhood.  It's funny how things work out.  We had originally looked at building a Florence in another neighborhood in a neighboring state but the commute was going to be too far for my husband so the next option was this neighborhood.  We loved the Florence so much and didn't love the other floorplans as much and it turns out, they had JUST started offering the Florence the week before!  Whew!  There are TONS and I mean TONS of Venice's in the neighborhood which until the Florence was the cheapest house.  I really loved the Venice and almost went with it but the main reason I wanted it was because of the upstairs laundry and that wasn't really enough to justify the extra $5,000 in the house price.  So far the houses on our street are all the Rome floorplan so I'm happy that we will have a house that looks different.  And because of our floorplan being the only one of it's kind, we had no issues choosing the trim and elevation we want.  

We did go over to the neighborhood today to enjoy some of the fantastic amenities and had lunch on the dock of the pond.  So beautiful!  Can't wait to be living there!!


6 comments:

  1. Did the SR confirm the standard bathroom fixtures would be from the Joy family? Joy fixtures were a $700 upgrade for our community. It seems everything except the "ceiling mounted" lights would be from the Bravo (we visited a recently constructed model and they had the standard Bravo fixtures). The faucets also look like brushed nickel (another upgrade for $900). Ours will be the Branford pieces, but in chrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bravo/Joy package is the community standard, it just became that way so I'm not sure what it used to be. I believe our bathroom sinks will be chrome as well as the toilet paper holder and towel bar. I will have to double check on the shower fixtures, I thought that's what we were getting but now I guess I should check. I would be ok with chrome if that is what they do. We are past the time we can make changes anyway :(

      Delete
    2. We saw chrome fixtures and they looked nice in the Brantford style. The $900 cost to upgrade to brushed nickel was more than twice the cost of the actual fixtures (I priced it out to $420 at Home Depot, plus I could apply a military discount). The big thing for us was that even if upgrading to brushed nickel, your shower frame would still remain chrome (this was not the case with oil-rubbed bronze).

      I'm thinking of not having them install a towel bar in the powder room. The hand towel ring is only $18 at Home Depot. We do wish the toilet paper holder was a single slide on piece rather than the spring loaded type.

      Delete
  2. I am not understanding why you did not receive the master slection list. They should have given you that as soon as tou sign the pur hase agreement. Am I missing something? I think its probably a good idea to demand that you get it just in case there is something you have not thought about. It was overwhelming at first, but it definitely led to clearing up what I am oaying for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did receive that. That is not what I was asking for. I wanted something that showed all the options we have selected and our final price. The original purchase agreement was for a different lot, elevation and pretty much had all kinds of things that we later did not want. She gave me all the change orders. Sure enough one thing I asked her to add did not get added. So now we have to either live without it, add it and increase the purchase price or maybe she can just add it and give us a credit since it was her fault.

      Delete
  3. I had a good post on fireplace selections:

    http://building-our-new-home.blogspot.com/2013/02/fireplace.html

    We are going with the raised hearth look. I agree with you, I like the look we are both getting moreso than the original full stoned fireplace.

    ReplyDelete