Question: To those of you with a side-wall fireplace...how did you set up your living room? We do not want to put our TV over the fireplace, well at least right now we don't. I really want to have a pretty mantel and decorate it all fancy and it's a little harder to do with the TV up there.
We are thinking of putting the TV/entertainment center on the small half wall with our couch centered in between the windows and a few occasional chairs. My main issue is I don't want a couch closing off the space between the kitchen and family room because I'd really like to watch the fire while I'm cooking dinner, lol. Never had a fireplace before :) So the only real option is how I described then, right? The half wall is not going to be big enough for a couch, it's only about 7 ft I believe.

Hey Kellie, we have a fireplace in our apartment and we had TV hooked up over the fireplace. We decided not to do that in our new home. I like your idea, I guess that's how I would do it too....
ReplyDeleteThis is all deja vu to me...we have our fireplace in a place that makes it difficult to pick where to put our TV and whatnot.
ReplyDeleteWe decided to go this route... http://building-our-new-home.blogspot.com/2013/02/living-room-furniture-layout-decided.html
http://building-our-new-home.blogspot.com/2013/01/living-room-layout.html
Still not as optimal as I would have hoped but we are definitely not putting our TV over the fireplace.
First link is what we decided, second link is what we were originally thinking of doing but decided against.
DeleteI like that idea. I think the only real way for us to do it would be to put the TV on the small wall with the couch across. I had thought about building in something on one side of the fireplace and putting the TV there but then that would be asymmetrical and I don't like that. The model Florence doesn't have a TV so they make it look so easy, centering everything around the fireplace.
DeleteIt won't let me see your blog, tourqeyes :( I was curious about the links you posted.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteWe have our TV mounted on the short wall (your closet/powder room wall) and it makes sense for us, even though we don't have a FP, if we placed it on the wall where you have your FP, furnutire placement would be weird and we would have a couch floating inthe middle of the space and we wanted it to feel more open. The only bad thing is the glare from the windows in the living room, which will be solved once we get curtains/blinds put in. The TV over the fire place isn't optimal view height, it is too high and you will be craning your neck up to watch, even the geek squad guy says he installs them all the time over the FP but never recommends it you want your TV to be at eye level.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could insert a picture in the comment. I've been in two different florence models and one of them was set up just as you described! I think that is what I would do if I had the fireplace there. I don't know why, but I don't really care for mounted TV's. Clearly I am the minority haha
ReplyDeleteI think the way you described sounds perfect! I always feel you should have seating facing both the fireplace and the TV - which you will!
ReplyDeleteMy neighbor has a Florence with the side wall fireplace, and that's exactly how she has hers set up. We were just talking about it this weekend that she would like to do something different with the room, but this was the only set up that seemed to work well.
ReplyDeleteOur great room has a quirky setup too (long and narrow). We've debated how to handle the tv placement and did not like how it was setup in the model we visited (crazy how the tv predicates how the other furniture is placed). If you have an ipad they have an app called homestyler from autodesk. You can take a pic and repurpose it for doing different furniture layouts.
ReplyDelete