The paint is done. I'm sorry but divine white is anything but divine. Especially when it's next to your beautiful, expensive creamy cabinets. And even more when it's on your ceilings too.
If you remember I fought tooth and nail to get them to go with white. Bright, simple white. I got the "NO" that was pretty much a constant answer at that time. After fussing and throwing a fit. .. my SR took it up to the boss and the approved me for white ceilings, at "not that much" in the way of price. At my pre-construction meeting this got brought up again and it showed on a change order that we were getting white ceilings. I asked how much and it was $1295!! For white ceilings?? I don't know about you but I thought that was an insane amount. So we turned it down. And just now as expected I still hate the color and so I sent an email to the PM to see if he could give me the painters number and we could have it sprayed after closing, before we move in. We will see what happens. And how much it will actually cost outside of RH.
I also made mention (after seeing how many of you all were unhappy with the staircase stain) to let him know that I wanted it to match and if it didn't I would not hesitate to make them do it again so its better if they just do it right the first time :) my neighbor has the same flooring as us and hers were awful and they had to redo them and it has been such a pain because they have been sticky for 3 days and she has 2 little kids. So I'm hoping it looks nice after our little talk lol.
The paint isn't terrible. Of course it would look better a different color, but I've seen worse. I hope your stain turns out the way you want :)
ReplyDeleteyou are right, it's not terrible but I think it looks especially bad in the kitchen because of the cabinets. And we want to paint in the gray family so with a yellow tan ceiling...it's not going to work. I wanted everything to be crispy white so it would be ok with no matter what color we chose. this will most certainly clash with any kind of light gray we choose :(
DeleteI so wanted white ceilings, too, since those are the hardest to paint. But we didn't even get an option for that. As far as the price, all I know is it cost about $4K to have our upstairs painted in our old house, and that included the ceilings and the trim. I think it does cost an arm and a leg to do ceilings, unfortunately. At least the trim is white! And I imagine once the countertops are in, the paint won't be quite as jarring to you as it is now. Love your color palate--we're going with shades of greys in our downstairs, too. Eventually. When I'm not tired of painting. :) Looks great so far, paint notwithstanding!
ReplyDeleteWhy do they do this? I don't understand why they wouldn't want it crisp white? We did the paint package to have our walls painted Pavilion Beige. I don't understand why it cost so much! Don't they just put a different color in the sprayer? Ridiculous!
ReplyDeleteI also agree with newbie, once your counters are in, it will look better. I'm not sure why the paint is such an issue, I still can't get them to tell me what color ours us going to be. I would have loved a beige but i figure I'll just paint once our 40 month is done.
ReplyDeleteWeird!weird!! Why would they paint the ceilings anything but white?? Our ceilings are stomped and crisp white. The only point we had to pay for paint was if we wanted a different color. We had a choice of 4 and they were all flat paints. Pretty much all the same colors. It was $1295 to do the whole house. So we stuck with white and will change it once we close. We have a friend who manages a paint store so we luckily got a deal on paint and having them do it! Or we would be in the same boat. I really wish they would step outside of the box on some things.
ReplyDelete"Especially when it's next to your beautiful, expensive creamy cabinets"
ReplyDeleteYeah I think this is my biggest issue with them. Because your cabinets are that color it looks a little off. At least you can paint! I don't mind the color in the rest of the house though.
I don't mind it as much in the other rooms either. but the kitchen is the main issue to me. I'm thinking with the countertops, it will help and we will have to paint it. But we eventually want to do crown molding everywhere and with it being white...it will be obvious that the ceiling is not white. I'm just still so frustrated over this whole thing with RH.
DeleteThat is so weird! I assumed all ceiling will be white! At least our community has white ceiling as standard. They did not even offer anything else.
ReplyDeleteAnd I understand what you are concerned about in the kitchen. AS you mentioned the counter tops will help and a good back splash will bring out the cabinets too!